Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Review: Wings by Elizabeth Richards

Book Blurb: Following the cliffhanger ending of Phoenix, Natalie finds herself separated from Ash and unexpectedly reunited with her parents, including the father she thought was dead. But she can only think of Ash. She hasn't heard a word of him since she and Elijah were brought to the underground headquarters of the Sentry Rebellion. But she vows to find him. Ash, meanwhile is back in Black City; it's the perfect place to hide from the Sentry government. But not for long. He won't give up on Natalie or bringing an end to the terrible reign of Purian Rose. A pulse-racing end to an exciting series. My Review: 4 out of 5 stars
Genre: Supernatural, Dystopian, Werewolves, Vampires, Survival, Urban Fantasy- Two weeks have passed since Natalie was kidnapped and Ash was left behind. Natalie has been living in a rebellion camp with her parents, while trying to come up with a way to find if Ash is alive. Meanwhile, Ash is trying to figure out the location of the weapon that will take down Puritan Rose’s reign of terror. They only have a short window to save their people and hopefully find each other again. So this is it, the conclusion to the trilogy that I absolutely fell in love with. I feel kind of bittersweet since it means that I don’t get to experience the danger, action and romance right along with Natalie and Ash anymore. On one hand, I am glad that the series ended because I could not wait for more or handle any more emotional yoyo’s and love squares. But on the other hand, I feel like I know these characters and I will miss them and their world so much. When I picked up midnight city forever ago when it came out, I had no idea what I was getting myself involved in. The characters have grown so much. Last book I felt like I was reading angst filled drama. Don’t get me wrong, the book was amazing and compelling, but it was a big mess. It was a “does she love me”, “does he want me”, “it is for their best interest” back and forth thing between Natalie and Ash that I just wanted to scream. This book they had a completely open line of communication as well as the belief that their relationship is strong no matter who else is around. Both characters have other love interest on the side, but they did not once give in to the despair and insecurity from before. Instead, they focus on a battle that just may kill everyone. Big picture folks. I love all the side characters like Day and Beatle and especially Sebastian. They play just as an important role in the war and I completely rooted for them to survive. I will admit I found the “secret weapon” to be odd as well as a strange plot device to make the story go in a very different direction from what I was expecting. It was really interesting to read Edmund’s story and try to guess where he fit into the grand scheme of things. I can honestly say I never saw that coming. I also liked how wings played into the story because I was not sure how it would tie in. As I said before, this is the conclusion to a trilogy, and it has to be read in order. The book won’t make sense on its own and the reader will totally be missing two great books full of character and world building. I have enjoyed the series and look forward to reading more from Ms. Richards.

No comments:

Post a Comment