Monday, November 6, 2017

Review: Offsetting Penalties by Ally Mathews

Book Blurb:

Isabelle Oster has dreamed of being a prima ballerina her entire life, so when the only male dancer backs out of the fall production, she’s devastated. Without a partner, she has no hope of earning a spot with the prestigious Ballet Americana company. Until hot jock Garret practicing stretches in one of the studios gives Izzy an idea, and she whips out her phone. But does she really want this badly enough to resort to blackmail?

All-state tight end Garret Mitchell will do anything to get a college football scholarship. Even taking ballet, which surprisingly isn’t so bad, because it means he gets to be up close and personal with the gorgeous Goth girl Izzy while learning moves to increase his flexibility. But Izzy needs him to perform with her for the Ballet Americana spot, and he draws the line at getting on stage. Especially wearing tights.

Disclaimer: This Entangled Teen Crush book contains a bit of blackmail, a lot of sarcasm, and an ending guaranteed to melt your heart.

My Review:

4.5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Romance, Teen--

Isabelle is in need of a dance partner for her ballet company auditions but is striking out,completely out of options. Garret is willing to do all he can to get a football scholarship, even take secret ballet lessons his coach suggested to help him heal from an injury. When Isabelle finds Garret taking lessons in her studio, she is desperate enough to record his lesson and blackmail him into being her dance partner. Can the two of them make this work out for them both? And will emotions get involved? What could go wrong with a simple case of blackmail?

I picked up the book to start reading one afternoon, expecting to get a chapter or so in, and next thing I knew I was finished with the book. I honestly read the story in one sitting because it was too cute to put down, the characters were engaging and so relatable, the world realistic, the romance sweet, and the writing was fast paced. I was sucked into this story and completely lost time.

I love dual narrated romances! The chapters alternated perspective between Garret and Izzy, which helped me get to know them as individual people and root for them both. Izzy created the "Untouchable" persona with her goth look and attitude to get people to like her for her and not her father's money or favor. Her growing obsession with all things football made me giggle, and how she treated her "students" was perfect. Garret is this seeming tough guy who was actually super sweet and caring, taking on the burdens and expectations of those around him. Let me just say that my favorite thing about the story is that the relationship was a slow build, not an insta-love, and they got to know each other and became such good friends before any romance even occurred.

I really like how Ally was able to incorporate real life issues into the book, such as dealing with family problems, loneliness, class dynamics, alcoholism, while at the same time ​dealing with school issues, sport related ambitions and a developing romance. There was such a nice balance between all the issues, so as not to overwhelm the characters.

As someone that could pretty much care less about real life sports, I have really been loving these Entangled publishing teen sports romances I have encountered this year- I pretty much can't get enough. This was my first book by Ally and I really enjoyed it. I look forward to whatever she wants to write about next.

I received this title for reviewing purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment