Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Review: Dead Girls Society by Michelle Krys

Book Blurb:

You are cordially invited to participate in a game of thrills and dares. Tell no one, and come alone. If you dare.

Hope is sick of everyone treating her like she’s breakable. Sure, she has cystic fibrosis (basically really bad lungs), but she’s tired of being babied by her mom and her overprotective best friend, Ethan, not to mention worrying about paying for her expensive medication and how she’s going to afford college. And she’s bored with life in her run-down New Orleans suburb.

When an invitation arrives from a mysterious group that calls itself the Society, Hope jumps at the chance for some excitement. This could be her ticket out. All she has to do is complete a few dares and she might win some real money.

But the Society isn’t all it seems . . . and soon Hope finds that playing the game isn’t a choice—it’s a requirement

My Review:

4 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Mystery, Suspense, Teen--

Grace has cystic fibrosis and has been sheltered by her mother due to how sick she is, but all Grace wants is a chance to life before she will die. When a strange email shows up inviting her to come to a place in the middle of nowhere to play a game, she knows she should ignore it. But Grace can't- she goes against her common sense and goes. And now she and four other girls are playing a game that may cost them their lives.

I am always up for an intriguing sounding mystery. Add in the fact that the main character has a debilitating disease and it was a guarantee that I would read this story (I love books with medical issues). I found the book to be a very fast read, I basically sat down one afternoon and read until I was finished that evening. The pacing, writing and plot were engaging enough to keep my interest, and where I had my possible suspect suspicions, I still enjoyed the twists and turns that the book provided.

We are introduced to Grace, the narrator, a girl who has been very sick, will never get better, yet she still longs for a chance to be a normal girl. She misses more days of school than she attends and has a terrible crush on her bestie who has no idea how Grace feels. Michelle did a great job of creating a very empathetic character, her longing, angst and awkwardness were practically palpable. I liked Grace and the fact she was pretty realistic about her life choices and very practical about what she could do. There were a few moments where I was wondering if she was not really sick, it was just her crazy mom- but alas, I was way off (too many conspiracy theories live in my brain).

I loved the ending- just when you think that everything is over and calm, that Grace has a chance to be happy and adventurous with however long she has left, BAM! a twist in the last paragraph in the book. I love mysteries like that, a surprise I did not anticipate with so much left unsaid. And, this is a standalone book, so that my friends is how you are left hanging (insert evil laugh here). I appreciate how Michelle ended the book and kept me on my toes throughout most of the story. I have read her Witch Hunter series and really enjoyed it so I was interested to see how she was with non-paranormal books (aka a teen mystery) and I am most certainly a fan. I look forward to whatever Michelle wants to write in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment