Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Review: Netherworld (Hollowed Realms Trilogy #1) by Amy Miles

Book Blurb:

Taryn

Flatline. The moment when one life ends and the next begins. That’s my cue. Being a banshee is a right pain in the arse. When I’m not ferrying souls through the veil between worlds, I’m training in secret for a war our King denies is coming. But I know better. An army of Lorcan monsters stands ready to breach the wall. If they succeed, the destruction they seek will not be contained. My only hope is to rely on the aid of a cocky prince with his own agenda. But after a human man captures my interest, will I be able to accept the terms of the prince’s aid?

Devlin

Our paths were never meant to cross. I’m meant to live my human life, unaware of the world that exists beyond the veil. But when Taryn and I collide, my world flips upside down. Nothing makes sense anymore. Logic tells me to run as far as I can from Taryn and the nightmares of her world but my heart screams at me to follow her to the literal ends of the earth. Even if it means my own damnation.

My Review:

4.5 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Another-World, Ghosts, Mystery, Royal-Court, Scary, Supernatural, Suspense--

Taryn thinks she is doing her regular job of picking up a soul, but next thing she knows she is attacked by a demon creature and fighting for her life. When a stranger approaches her, she thinks it must be one of her kind coming to help her because humans can’t see Banshees- but she was wrong. Devlin sees the girl covered in blood and goes to get help, but she is gone when he comes back and nobody else can see the trails of blood left behind. Somehow the two are now intertwined, their lives should have never intersected, but fate has changed, but was it for the better?

I enjoyed the world building so much here and it was unlike anything I have encountered before. We have this magical city that the humans know nothing about, but with citizens who have jobs and families, they just so happen to be Banshees and Grim Reapers who collect the humans when it is time. Not only that, but the city is run by a King aka evil dictator who is only out to push his evil agenda, even if that means using his only child as a pawn. Oh the political intrigue! Oh and did I mention that this is a gender biased magical city, where only men can be Reapers and trained to fight where as women are defenseless Banshees (it is actually is against the law for women to carry a weapon)? I loved the hierarchy and the rules, especially watching Taryn try to break them down single-handed.

The characters were just as important to me as the world building, having the story narrated in Taryn, Devlin and Aed's voices. All three characters were so different and had their own personalities and quirks. Taryn feels she doesn’t belong in her backwards society and wants to fight the archaic laws the kings enforces, even going so far as to learn to fight in secret. I loved her relationship with her cousin/bestie Eivin. Devlin has no idea as to the secret world that exists besides his own humans, instead focused on his grief over his dying sister and self sacrifice in her name. He was a fine character, but so closed off with his feelings, I think I sped-read his sections to get on to more action less emotional drama. And then we have Aed, sigh, dreamy Aed who I love and may have stolen my heart. Here we have the Prince of his realm, yet he has basically been banished to the most dangerous place to defend his people, every day a life and death struggle, hoping for just one crumb of respect from his father. He would gladly lay down his life to save his people and I really just wanted to hug him.

The events at the end of the book made me want to cheer him on and hope for a happily ever after for him and a certain hostile Banshee. But alas, that is not what happens here. I was really sucked into the story and the world building and I can’t wait to see what will happen next. This was a really cool idea and completely different from anything else I have read.

I received this title for reviewing purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment