Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Review: Reap the Wind (Cassandra Palmer, #7) by Karen Chance

Book Blurb:

You’d think that being Chief Seer for the supernatural world would come with a few perks. But as Cassie Palmer has learned, being Pythia doesn’t mean you don’t have to do things the hard way. That’s why she finds herself on a rescue mission skipping through time—even though she doesn't entirely understand her dimension-bending new power.

Rescuing her friend John Pritkin should have been an in and out kind of deal, but with the near-immortal mage’s soul lost in time, Cassie has to hunt for it through the ages—with Pritkin’s demon dad in tow. He’s the only one who can reverse Pritkin’s curse, but with the guardians of the time-line dead set on stopping anyone from mucking about, Cassie will have to figure out how to get her friend back without ruffling too many feathers—or causing a world-ending paradox or two...

My Review:

5 Out Of 5 Hearts

Genre: Another-World, Faeries, Ghosts, Royal-Court, Supernatural, Urban Fantasy, Vampires, Witches--

Cassie finds herself in trouble no matter what she does. It is even worse now that she is traveling back in time to stop her war mage friend Pritkin from loosing his soul, and in the modern time she battles everyday life which is so out of the realm of manageable. Nothing is every easy for Cassie, yet she marches on in the face of the coming war, proving that she deserves the title of Pythia.

I love this series. Each book makes me that much more happy and I have never been disappointed by the plot or the characters. This is the 7th book in the series and at this point the world building is so spectacular and complicated that I would need multiple diagrams to try and explain the dynamics of the book. I am not going to go into details because it would take FOREVER and you shouldn't read this book unless you read the last six and already know what is going on. This is one of my absolute favorite urban fantasy series and I always dread coming to the end because I know I have an unknown amount of time to wait until I get the next book. I would gladly recommend this series to anyone looking for an urban fantasy or if you want something full of magic, interesting creatures, non-stop action and adventure and complex characters you can't help but love. This book was another solid adventure that I loved, just in case you missed my raving.

I love Cassie and her crazy ideas and her big heart. She thinks she is the worst candidate for the powerful Pythia, but the magic picked her because she is the absolute best choice due to her personality, loyalty and moral compass. I love how she inspires devotion in the most random and surprising of places just by being herself. The one thing that I see most people have a problem with is the love triangle-ish aspect of the book. I don't like love triangles in any book, but I don't really feel like that is an issue here. My heart belongs to Pritkin and it always has. I love him and want them to have a romance despite everything else. Cassie and Mircea are currently in a "relationship" and she is his vampire equivalent to a wife, but I feel as if it is not real, more of an alliance or ownership than a romantic relationship. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with Mircea, but they never see each other and both see the other through rose colored unrealistic glasses that does not make a relationship. What Cassie and Pritkin have is chemistry, passion and respect that was won through interacting with each other in the real world, not hypothetical. I want them to be together, but they way Cassie's life goes, she may never actually be with anyone.

I love this series and I can't wait to see what will happen next. I love the author's amazing worlds and character development, I can't get enough. In case you can't tell my my over-use of the word LOVE, I am a super fan girl. I really need to pick up her other series set in this same world to help fight off my Cassandra Palmer withdrawal between books.

1 comment: