Monday, May 30, 2016

Review: Dark & Twisted Games (Hearts of Faeylon #1) by Heidi Acosta

Book Blurb:

Nothing ever happens in the small town of Copake Falls, and no one knows that better than sixteen-year-old Eden Day. Her life is a mundane carousal, rotating between caring for her alien obsessed aunt and dealing with her freak status at school. Until two brothers move into town and turn her life completely upside down.

Golden boy, Cardelian Foster is the talk of the town, and it seems his sights set on Eden. However, she finds herself drawn to the dark and elusive Jaxson instead. Caught between her fear of what he might be and her attraction to him, Eden makes it her mission to find out exactly who or what Jaxson Foster is.

Eden begins to dig for the truth, but the deeper she looks, the more her life seems to be in danger. Everyone around her thinks she’s going crazy, and Eden begins to agree until she finds herself pulled into Faeylon—a world that nightmares are made of. Caught in the center of a dark game, Eden realizes there can only be one winner, and she is the prize.

Add the book on Goodreads

My Review:

4 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Another-World, Faeries, Mystery, Supernatural, Teen--

Eden just does not belong. She goes through the motions of high school, but she could care less about her grades (which are all almost failing), has one friend, lives with her Schizophrenic aunt who is the town joke, and is nicknamed "Freak". Eden brushes everything off and tries to stay positive while counting down the days until she graduates high school and moves away. But one night while walking through the woods to her friend's house, she is attacked by a stranger with glowing eyes. Nobody believes her but she refuses to stop her own investigation, because that might mean that she could might be crazy.

I was first lured into reading this story because of the pretty cover. Sure, you are not suppose to judge a book by it's cover, but I do. I have been known to pick a book to read because it appealed to me aesthetically. So yes, I picked up this book to read without knowing what it was about but because I am in love with the cover. Can I just say how much I enjoyed this book? I was caught off guard by how much I loved what I was reading and the pages just flew by. I seriously sat down to read for just a few minutes and next thing I knew an hour had passed and I was half way into the book. The plot was interesting and unique enough that it kept me on my toes because I honestly had no idea what would happen next. The idea behind the story was creative and engaging with nothing as it seems. But, hands down, my favorite part of the book was Eden.

Eden was the most strange and entertaining character that I have read in a long time. She was a total quirky odd ball who cared almost not at all about what people thought and was fairly happy in her own skin. She called it like she saw it, was honest but not meanly so and marched to her own beat even when it made people not like her. Hands down, I absolutely loved her. I would be friends with her if I could. I was also intrigued by her her concern for her sanity, doubting what she saw as real or related to her "family history" and how she struggled over how best to treat her aunt and her quirks. She tried to see the best in those around her (like her inappropriate crush) and spent most of her time lost in her fantasy worlds she created.

The story was also full of adventure, danger and mystery. This is the first in a series and with the way this book ended, I am going to need the second book right away to rectify the terrible cliff hanger I had to experience. This story was not what I was expecting and I was incredibly happy with what I received.

I received this title from the author in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment