Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Review: Fire in Frost by Alicia Rades

Book Blurb:

Crystal Frost has spent her whole life believing she's ordinary, and her mother has long held the secret of her heritage. When Crystal begins seeing the ghost of a dead classmate, her life spirals out of control. She’s faced with the threat that everyone will find out she’s a freak, as if the struggle to figure out her new-found abilities wasn’t enough pressure. Crystal has to find some way to save the people who have come to her for help all while trying to keep her abilities a secret. Will she be able to fulfill these overwhelming demands while solving the mystery that is the ghost of Olivia Owen?

My Review:

3 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Ghosts, Mystery, Supernatural, Teen--

Crystal has always been behind when it comes to physical development, be it her stick straight body and lack of period, as well as the fact she is younger than her peers. One day she sees a girl in her school hallway, a girl who has been dead for the last year. When the girl appears again and asks Crystal for help she is not sure if she is going crazy or if the girl is real. Crystal needs to figure out what is going on before it is too late for someone else.

I think I was expecting some dark and romantic paranormal story when I started this book because of the cover. The cover of the book is gorgeous and intriguing, and even without knowing the plot I knew I had to read the book. This turned out to be a very sweet book that dealt with the love and bond of friendship while having a dark mystery lurking. I guess I would classify this as a growing up paranormal mystery. The topics dealt with death, ghosts, seances, abuse and psychic abilities, but it never felt like a dark story at all. I think this is the first book I have read in a long time without some kind of romance in it, which was a little surprising based on my original assumptions about the book. I found the story to be a fast read that showed the importance of friendship and acceptance, and to be yourself no matter what.

Crystal is very young. Everything about her screamed young and innocent to me, from her appearance, attitude and beliefs as well as her actions. I am not calling her immature, more like naive and sweet. She sees the good in everyone and takes things at face value. Her mom and her friends mean the world to her and she is so good to everyone. I kinda felt like I should wrap her in a blanket and protect her form her blossoming powers which have the potential to ruin her sunny disposition.

I like how the main mystery of this book was solved, but a new mystery for Crystal to face was set up for the next book to get the reader hooked and anxious for more. Overall, this was a very fast short read at only 140ish pages and I would probably say it was geared for a younger audience, pre-teen or younger teens due to content and how Crystal saw the world.

I received this title from the author in return for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment