Monday, April 13, 2015

Review: Black Wolf's Revenge by Tera Shanley

Book Blurb:

He’ll risk it all to bring her home.

Morgan Carter witnessed her sister’s murder, has been turned into a werewolf and is now raising her young niece. Then her fiance, Greyson Crawford, proves he wants to be with her for the wrong reasons, and she knows her life couldn’t be any stranger. Devastated, she retreats to her cozy house in the city with her sister’s little girl, Lana. There, they’ll have normalcy, and maybe eventually, even happiness.

But Morgan’s the only living silver wolf. Her uniqueness—the ability to produce werewolf offspring—means, without Grey’s protection, she’s unknowingly put herself and Lana in deadly danger. Other werewolves want to claim her for their pack, and she’s the easiest, most tempting prey ever.

When they strike, Grey has to find her and rescue her before it’s too late. Not so simple a task; he has only the uncontrollable beast inside him, Wolf, and an unlikely pack of allies he’s forced to rely on. Can he get to her in time? And if he does, can he convince her he’s there for the right reasons, saving them both?

My Review:

3 Out Of 5 Stars

Genre: Werewolves

Book 2 in the series picks up right where book 1 ends, with Morgan and Grey just literally getting engaged. Their brief moment of happiness ends when Morgan learns that she is a rare silver wolf, one of the few females in the werewolf world who can breed. Grey tells her in a very serious, not at all emotional way, that he has an obligation to protect her with his life, causing Morgan to irrationally sever ties with Grey because she wants a man to love her not to be forced to be with her. Grey leaves Morgan alone, but without his protection, she has a very real, very large target on her back.

There are 2 things that I really did not like about this book. So first off, the book was too short, coming in at only 100 pages on my ereader. I like the world that the author created as well as the characters (even when they are doing stupid things that make me angry) that I would gobble up so much more if the author were to write it. That being said, I don’t feel that the author was rushed or left anything out, she did a complete story, I just would like more. It is very greedy of me, but like that quote by Jane Austen “If a book is well written I always find it too short” I completely agree. The second issue I had with this book was that the basic plot was based on miscommunication. I hate when miscommunication is used as a plot device. I just want to shake the characters and tell them to talk and therefore solve the last 75 pages of angst I had to experience! There are so many other issues or dilemmas that people face, especially when we are talking about fantastical creatures that turn into werewolves and may have war on their hands. I could personally make a list of things that I would have enjoyed more for Grey and Morgan to face besides a lack of communication, including face eating zombies or the magic school bus. I don’t know how they would have fit into the story, but I would have liked either one much better. Sorry for the rant, but there it is.

I love Grey. He is kind of a mess, with the fact Wolf is very close to the surface at all times and he battles being a monster. Grey is such a freaking nice guy regardless of his beastial side. He would gladly die for Morgan or her niece Lana even when he has been rejected. He goes out of his way to let her have her choices when it hurts and isolates him at every turn. There is one point in the story where Wolf “punishes” Morgan and I was never sure if Grey was aware of what transpired and I am curious still to find out. I love the role he ends up in for Marissa, the big brother she needs to be herself. He honestly is the best blend of caring and wild dominant wolf that I love in my werewolf men. Morgan is another story completely. I did not like her character at all in this book, where as I respected and rooted for her in the first one. She makes impulsive bad choices that have severe consequences and I hate her for hurting Grey. I understand that she does become the victim here, but it was a little bit self inflicted and Grey had to clean up her mess, while his innards were trying to become outtards. I am not blaming the victim per se, just pointing out that she led to this. I thought she had it much too easy in the redemption part, but I would rather have a happy story with the two of them together, so I guess I will let it go. I liked learning more about Marissa and I look forward to hopefully getting a book about her when she is older.

Overall this was a solid story in a world I already enjoy, even if there were some things I was not a fan of. The book was fairly dark, dealing with abuse, rape, and death as big challenges most of the characters need to overcome in some way or another. I can’t wait to read the next book in the series and see what happens to the couple next because nothing is ever easy for them. I will read more from this author in the future because I like that she writes books with happy endings.

I received this title form the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment